Theme of the Day 9/1/16 | Relentless Pursuit of Excellence
Day 9 | Practice 11 – Our main situation of the day was the “fringe” red zone (+34 to +25). This has been a very productive area for us. The rest of our team work in practice, I wanted us to play fast, so we did “move the ball” work. This will help prepare us for Saturday.
Tidbit – President Eisgruber ’83 addressed the team prior to practice today. I have coached at other colleges, and this is not something that happens everywhere. I can’t thank him enough as a coach for the support he gives our team, and as an alum, I see first-hand how he supports our students!
Misc. – We did an afternoon media training session with Craig Sachson. It is important to us how our team represents Princeton publicly and privately.
Quote of the Day | Coach Steve Verbit – “Today is the way the game is supposed to be played. You could hear the cracking and feel the energy!!”
The Past & Present –Today features starting senior QB Chad Kanoff and ’86 QB Doug Butler. Last season, as Princeton’s starting play-caller, Kanoff became the first Princeton QB since Chad Rohair (’91) to win his first four collegiate starts. He also passed for 2,295 yards, which ranked 6th most in a single-season in Princeton history. Kanoff, named a captain of the ’16 Tigers this spring, will be more than ready to lead his team in the hunt for another Ivy League Title.
Doug Butler ’86 is arguably the greatest passer in Princeton’s prolific quarterback history. Butler holds the following Princeton football records:
- #1 Total Offensive Plays (1134)
- #1 Total Offensive Yards in Career (7,157)
- #1 Total Offensive Yards Per Game in Career (246.8)
- #1 Career Passing Yards (7291), leads next QB by over 2,000 yards
- #1 Passing Yards in a Season (3,175)
- #2 Passing Yards in a Game (469)
- #1 Passing Yards Per Game in a Career (251.4)
- #1 Passing Attempts (988), leads next QB by 200
- #1 Total Completions in Career (542)
- #1 Total Completions in Season (224)
- #1 Passing TDs in Career (47)
- #1 in Most Passing TDs in Season (25)
Butler currently is the Chief Operating Officer and CFO of Reward Gateway, which provides employee engagement technology to the world’s leading companies.