Legacy of the Helmet
In 1935, Princeton head coach Herbert O. “Fritz” Crisler introduced to his team a black leather helmet with three stripes along its length and triangular “wings” meant to represent the folded-back ears of a tiger. The bold color combinations and distinctive design helped quarterbacks more easily identify receivers downfield. Crisler would later take this design with him to the University of Michigan after leading the Tigers to two of its record 28 National Championships. After 61 years of dormancy following Crisler’s departure from the University, the design was resurrected in coincidence with the opening of the new Princeton Stadium.